Thu, 10 Nov|
Speaking Your Story: Steps to Self-Advocacy
This FREE event is for people with (dis)Abilities and their families, as well as anyone who is interested in disability advocacy.
Time & Location
10 Nov 2022, 11:00 am – 12:30 pm AWST
Greenfields, 1 Bortolo Dr, Greenfields WA 6210, Australia
About the event
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- An outline of why self-advocacy is important for people with disabilities
- What is self-advocacy?
- What is self-determination?
- An overview of some of the barriers that prevent people with disabilities from speaking up
- Medical versus Social models of disability
- Common barriers (e.g., physical, attitudinal, etc.)
- Strategies to assist clients in identifying their needs and desires within the various spheres of public life (e.g., recreation, education, volunteering, medical, etc.) and then taking action to speak up
- An overview of Disability Discrimination
- Some interactive scenarios
- Tea, coffee, and biscuits will be provided
ABOUT YOUR PRESENTER:
Stu Guthrie completed his degree in psychology at Murdoch University in 2011. He then went on to complete a Graduate Diploma of Divinity at Vose College, and recently a Master of Arts in Theological Studies at Murdoch University. His work experience have primarily been in the fields of education, pastoral care, and advocacy, both here in Australia as well as the United Kingdom.
Stu lives with both ADHD and Fibromyalgia, so he understands the obstacles and barriers that people with disabilities face on a daily basis. Part of Stu’s advocacy work has been focused on: the inclusion of people with disabilities; animal welfare and environmental concerns; as well as fighting for legal access to medicinal cannabis for those living in chronic pain.
ABOUT ENABLE WA:
Enable WA is a not-for-profit organization that has been operating since 1991. It provides support to individuals and their families living with a disability.
Enable WA is driven by the belief that everyone deserves a ‘typical life’ and with that belief, anything is impossible. They believe that everyone can succeed when they are given the right tools and opportunities.
Enable’s purpose is to assist everyone in living a life of their choice.
Please RSVP to confirm your seat.